Search This Blog

January 19, 2017

Just Put on Your Shoes...

Last week I completed my third half marathon in Mumbai. My timing has improved, I suffered no injury not even a cramp and my body took much less time to recover than the previous years. I can't deny it made me happy but still the happiness was not absolute. My timing of course could do with a lot of improvement, my stamina needs to go up even more but these were not the cause of lack of accomplishment that I should have felt. It was the regret of starting this meditative routine so late in life, on the wrong side of fifties.
My running buddies are mostly in their twenties or thirties with a few in their forties and only a couple from my age group. They run faster, better and their achievements are way ahead of mine. Sometimes I wish to turn the clock back and start with them on an equal footing, right from when I was their age. To push myself more, to train as hard they do and to try and catch up to their timings. 

A part of my Running Group - RunOn
While this activity brings so much joy for me now, it also always reminds me of the time I have lost. Years (rather decades) ago when I was their age, there was no concept of fitness much less any structured activity to take part in. The maximum and the only exercise one got was by looking after the home and kids. One couldn't even find half an hour where something or someone didn't need your attention (am sure my peers would agree). And if you were ever lucky to get a bit of time the thought of doing just nothing took over any grand plans of wearing shoes and going for a walk (running was still not for common people)! Though now, I consider myself luckier than many others as I have a wonderful group of supportive friends who share the same passion even though much late in life. I now feel more comfortable in my running shoes than in my stilettos. 

I am also glad to see the change in attitude 'looking after yourself''. Young people are so committed to their love for running that they even sacrifice nights of drinking, smoking and eating out with their friends. They plan their outings so that they can do their long runs on weekends. New moms and dads (even in my group) are making sure they take sometime out for fitness, sometimes they even bring the little ones in prams. It is so endearing to see parents bring their little ones (on holidays and weekends) with them for cycling or exercises. Believe me when I say that this is one thing they will always be grateful for, many years from now.


Go, find like-minded people, get a pair of shoes (yes, that's all you need) and the willingness to put them on everyday, make/join a group or just go out alone, CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

If I could do raising my kids again, I would also give this discipline (and joy) to my children! Catch them young, as they say...
But it can also be said (from my own experience) - It is never too late :)




6 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration! Keep running with your lovely smile ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration mam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautifully written Binty :) u rock !!! Have always admired you n everyone we meet u give me more reasons to admire you :)

    ReplyDelete