Search This Blog

June 4, 2013

Stop The Shame



Usually I am the kind of the person who is eager to learn new things, positive about life, enjoys good conversations, has a great time with friends and family and above all happy and fun to be with.


But then there have been few times when none of the above has applied to me. Times when I did not know how to handle some people, the emotions they stirred up in me, and even me. The only thing I was aware of was that I needed to talk to someone and sort it before it started to impact my daily life. 


So at that point did I give a damn about what people would think or say? Will my family and friends judge me? Will i be considered an outcast at social gatherings?
NO. And that made all the difference.


I spoke to a few of my very close friends about it. I also sought professional help and shared all about how I was feeling. The platform was much needed and very useful. I learnt how to identify my feelings, what to do with them, learnt more effective ways of handling my feelings and better coping strategies. AND IT MADE A LIFE CHANGING DIFFERENCE.


It has been many years since and of course I still do slip up at times but somewhere I know I am in control. I am more aware. And I have trusted and helpful people whom I can call in times of crisis.


I write this because I know and see people who want to seek help but unable to do so due to lack of support from family and friends. Some are bothered about how they will be judged. Some are worried that family and friends are going to talk about their inadequacies. My only suggestion to them is that it is your life and you have to take charge of it. Behind the happy and rosy pictures of your close ones you have no idea what they go through when they are feeling down. And believe me they feel low too at some point or the other. 


I also write this because it is high time we brought more openness to issues of Mental Health.


I also write this because IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU.


I write this because I want people to STOP THE SHAME that they attach to people who seek help and are fighting against something that they have no control on. Be proud of their efforts and support them. 
Because you never know one day you yourself could be on that couch needing help!!!




2 comments: